Automated call blasts help you engage everyone, especially low-literate populations
Send pre-recorded voice messages as trainings, reminders, notifications in any language, to any mobile phone.
Build call blast campaigns in minutes. Reach people anywhere, fast.
Caller ID masking
How Population Services International sends critical maternal health information to thousands of new mothers in Cambodia
PSI (Population Services International), alongside its research and design partner 17Triggers, uses the engageSPARK platform to implement a maternal health program across five provinces in Cambodia. Named “Good Families Raise Smart Kids,” this vital initiative supports mothers in fostering the health and intelligence of their babies, impacting over 25,000 Cambodian mothers.
Expectant and new mothers have a straightforward method to join the program: they simply dial a toll-free IVR hotline, where they speak Khmer into their phones to answer questions. The engageSPARK system’s speech recognition technology processes their responses, automatically registering them into the program and tailoring the content based on their baby’s due date or birth date. Midwives also facilitate enrollments during health clinic appointments.
Once enrolled, mothers begin receiving automated call blasts. These calls are not just informative but engaging, featuring the voices of midwives, doctors, and grandmothers – key influencers in Cambodian child-rearing. The information delivery starts ten days before the due date and extends through the first year of the baby’s life.The topics vary, addressing the common questions and concerns of new mothers. For those joining post-birth, the program adapts to offer information relevant to their baby’s current age.
These call blasts also remind participants – at the right times – about important health checkups and vaccinations. Often, these calls are supplemented with SMS summaries, enhancing both access and understanding. This effective combination of SMS and calls is facilitated by engageSPARK’s Drip Campaign feature.
The program’s success is evident in two key areas: knowledge growth and behavioral change. PSI’s surveys, conducted before and after the program, have shown notable growth in participants’ understanding of essential behaviors and a significant adoption of these practices, such as post-natal care visits and breastfeeding. These call blasts are pivotal in enriching the lives of Cambodian families, particularly considering the limited internet access and lower literacy levels of many mothers. By leveraging engageSPARK’s technology, PSI empowers mothers across Cambodia with the knowledge and support they need to nurture healthier families.
Top ways organizations use engageSPARK’s call blasts
Social behavior change communications (SBCC)
NGOs and academic researchers use call blasts to teach best practices and disseminate important reminders
- Send a scheduled series of call blasts over days, weeks, months, or years to help change behavior
- Send automated call blast reminders to patients to take medicine, go to the clinic, take their children in for vaccinations—all at the appropriate time
- Train participants using a series of automated calls on any relevant topic: business or financial skills, agriculture, health, climate change
Relief organizations leverage automated call blasts to get critical information out to vulnerable populations in fragile contexts
- Send automated call blasts to refugees or displaced persons from conflict-stricken zones to warn them of places to avoid, inform them about available programs such as cash transfer, airlifts, etc.
- Set up a phone number for program participants to miss call to trigger an automated callback with important information on how to get help
- Send critical health and other information to populations that are cut off from access to aid workers during emergencies like Covid-19
How call blasts work on engageSPARK
1. Design campaign
2. Push out calls
3. Pick ups
Your participants hear the message when they pick up. The call automatically ends when the message is finished.