Can I set a Caller ID or Sender ID
for my message?
A Caller ID or Sender ID can be set so another number or sender name shows in your recipient’s mobile phone—to appear as the sender or caller of the messages. Caller ID refers to the number used to mask the real phone number when sending voice calls. While Sender ID refers to the sender name describing the organization or brand when sending SMS text messages.
Certain countries and carrier networks have different rules on using a Caller ID or Sender ID (e.g. depends on the kind of traffic you’re sending). There are character limitations for Sender IDs (up to 11 characters in most countries).
Things to note when setting up a Caller ID or Sender ID
- When using a sender ID, the recipient will not be able to reply to your SMS messages. A local phone number is required for people to send the SMS responses to.
- Characters in Latin alphabet and any number combination are only allowed to ensure delivery of your messages (A-Z and 1-9). Symbols and special characters may affect the delivery of your SMS text messages—the sender ID or caller ID may be altered or message delivery may fail if added.
- Sender ID format rules vary depending on the destination country and may not be uniform across telcos or mobile operators. Some may require a minimum and a maximum number of characters, or may only allow alpha characters.
- Certain countries restrict or ban senders with messages that have marketing/advertising, adult, religious, or political content.
- By default, the engageSPARK Sender ID will be used. Only registered Sender IDs of your organization will work with SMS campaigns.
- For Caller ID: Enter only a valid phone number for voice call messages. Do not add the plus sign before numeric Caller IDs (e.g. 639255600700) to ensure call delivery. Most countries do not alter or restrict numeric Caller IDs for Voice IVR campaigns, but please test to make sure it is not overwritten by a random number.
- If no Caller ID is set when using the engageSPARK network as the “send” route, a random phone number shows up as the caller.
Sender IDs can be displayed in three ways:
- Alpha or non-numeric (e.g. engageSPARK)
- Numeric (e.g. 12567891000)
- Alphanumeric (e.g. 1800eSPARK)
Note: Again, Sender ID formatting specifications varies per country and depends on end-users’ mobile provider if supported. Please contact support if you’d like to register a sender ID for outbound SMS.
Using a Caller ID or Sender ID in engageSPARK
The Sender ID or Caller ID can be selected on Step 3 when creating an SMS or Voice campaigns. Caller IDs for Voice campaigns (automated calls) usually do not require pre-registered IDs.
As an anti-spam measure, Sender IDs and Caller IDs need to be set up by engageSPARK. You can do this by writing a request to email@example.com or via live chat. Depending on the country, a pre-registration to telecom companies is required for Sender IDs to work across all mobile networks. It usually takes 10 business days of processing time.
Important! When using Sender or Caller IDs, it must be specified on Step 3 in every campaign before clicking Launch. Simply choose your organization’s phone number as the Caller ID for Voice on the drop-down list. See screenshot below:
Have questions or need a little extra help?